Tuesday 4 January 2011

Today is a sad day...

...not only have I de-decked my household of Christmas brightness...but the tenth timelord announced his engagement!!!

*drops to knees, throws arms into air, head back, tears streaming down face*

NNNNOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

A-hem

I'm sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah, Christmas decorations and trees have all come down today.  I always get sad when I have to take them down.  I really REALLY love Christmas.  I love the sparkle, the smell, the trees, the lights, the presents, the company.  Seriously, the only things I don't like about Christmas are Cliff Richard and Mariah Carey singing (I love nearly all other Christmas songs tho!)  

In fact, I love Christmas songs so much that my husband and I had Fairytale of New York (Pogues/McColl version obviously) as our first dance at our wedding.  Whenever we hear the song it reminds each other of the other (as an "our song" should) and if we are together and we hear it, we always dance to it...except this year...this year that never happened...maybe it's not too late tho...

Our sixth wedding anniversary is speedily approaching at the end of this month.  Hopefully it will be a more successful one than last year!

Every year we kept saying we would go away for the night for our anniversary, but never quite got around to doing so...except for last year.  We got a bargain deal on a suite at a very nice London hotel (near enough half the normal rate, but still over a good couple of hundred!).  We packed an overnight case, went to work, and then met at the hotel late afternoon.  The room was just gorgeous.  The meester and I went to the hotel bar for a couple of afternoon cocktails, before heading back up to the room to scrub up for a night out in London.

Now I should point out that our little girl was being looked after by her big sister, so we'd already had a couple of calls from home.  Whilst getting ready I got the call didn't want to get...my (near) 17 year old cat, Monet, was bleeding out.  She'd been losing weight for a while, but always had a healthy appetite, so it was pretty much just age that was making her skinny...sadly her appetite had gone in the week leading up to our anniversary, so I knew the end was near.  

Needless to say the call had upset me, and I wanted to get home.  We repacked, paid up and left to get home.  Monet was settled and very quiet and I realised there was only one thing we could do for her.  The girls said their goodbyes and we took Monet to the emergency vets.  He checked her over, in case there was something that could be done, but sadly there wasn't.  He was amazed to meet such an old girl.  Heartbroken I said my goodbyes and watched as the life left my little old girl.  I was left to be with her for as long as I wanted, before we left her there to be cremated.  You have got to feel sorry for my husband, he shelled out an excessive amount of money and I didn't even put out!

The house seemed so empty without her.  We've always had cats in the house.  I just don't remember a time when I didn't.  A week after we'd said our goodbyes, Monet returned home and was placed next to my old cat (in little wooden urns, not stuffed btw!)...this was the Saturday...on the Sunday we went to a rescue home and brought home two black and white cats (6mths and 1 yr) who were renamed Rose and Doctor.  At first I wondered if it was too soon, but then I realised that Monet would want us to give a home to other cats who needed one.

Nearly a year on and I miss the old girl, sitting here crying whilst I type this out, but Doc and Rose have filled the house with furry love and good lord are the pair of them funny.

So I shall leave you with a photograph of my old girl, Monet...miss ya...oh and Father Christmas was very sweet this year, he brought my Baby Girl a soft cat toy and it is called MonMon (nickname of Monet).

1 comment: