Thursday 13 January 2011

What a miserable night...

Sat in my office, about 10 minutes away from heading back out into the dark wet night and down to South Wimbledon.

Handing back an installation down there tonight...well, I'm not.  I was going to, but a couple of colleagues and I all have our licences coming up for renewal for a specific part and two of them haven't been using them much (regular use is a must to be able to keep hold of the licence).  I, however, am an assessor for the licence, so am more up to date on it all in the practical sense, as I mentor and assess people on a reasonably regular basis.  So I suggested they both come out with me tonight and do the handback, with me just being there should they need me...which (apart from which sections to fill out on little used (by them) paperwork) they won't.

One of the people out with me is a favourite amongst my work friends.  A lovely girl, very bright, very precise.  She is currently needlessly worrying over what we are doing tonight.  She has checked clearances a hundred times or more...it's just this is the first time she will actually be approving and signing off an actual installation that will remain in a tunnel...no doubt not one of you will even notice that installation if you get on the tube in that area tomorrow morning.

She needn't worry on many accounts:
  1. She is so accurate with everything she does, she won't miss a thing (can only think of one other in our department who I would say is moreso!);
  2. She has the power to make people move the installation to make it meet requirements;
  3. She also has the power to make them take it all back out if they don't meet requirements and will not/can not make it fit;
  4. She has back up with me and the other chap there.
Should hopefully be a short job - wager it will take us longer getting to site and back than it will actually checking everything.

And with that...I need to go grab my things from the car and get into the van...South Wimbledon here I come!!!  I got to all the nicest places...

No comments:

Post a Comment