Monday 16 August 2010

Show three...Itch: A Scratch Event

Itch (as it shall be known from here on in) was a last minute booking, as we'd had the Tip that Messers Vranch and Frost were going to be on, and quite frankly, we can't get enough of them!

Photo from www.EdFringe.com

The show is a collection of mini shows/sketches/plays/performances, often not really rehearsed...hell, a script might have literally only just been finished moments before a show.  Many of the performers came out holding scripts, something you would think you would notice more than you actually did.  It wasn't long in any of them that I forgot they were even holding them!

The first was KILL PHIL, written by Phil Whelans and starring Phil himself, Ruth Bratt, Stephen Evans and James Wren (please forgive any spelling of names in this blog - I've tried to be accurate).  Armed only with minimal props (mainly chairs) we were treated to a dark/light comedy/play juxtaposition. The opening scene was by the graveside (cardboard coffin shape pinned to black curtain, all actors lay on the floor giving the impression we were viewing from above - very cleverly done!), followed by will reading in the style of a gameshow, followed by slightly insane goings on, including a fabulously creepy housekeeper.

Second was a more serious mini-play, although unsure as to whether they meant it to seem as such - they should, however, not take that as a criticism as I enjoyed it very much.  The story was about a comedian, Kyle, and a very over-eager fan, Sarah.  Scarily I wondered if this was how many of the comedians over the years felt about myself and many other people I know...am I comedian stalker crazy?? (please if any of the comedians I go to see read this just remember people like us mean you get to buy nice things like food and socks!) ...btw I don't *actually* want anyone to answer that...I know I'm at a safe stalker level because not ONCE has a restraining order been applied for...

Up next was Charlyne Yi.  A very brief appearance of her performing a song for her boyfriend who had just dumped her..."so what else could she do except invite him along?" She was literally on for a few minutes...and in those few minutes I got a stitch from laughing.  I am sorely tempted to see if I can fit her show in before I leave, if not, maybe I can catch her playing London some time?

Fourth was a monologue from Stuart Goldsmith...recounting meeting a girl and falling in love...and wasabi. Very sweet and amusing.

Last but by no means least were Richard Vranch and Stephen Frost, who were a pushy showbiz Dad and middle aged son who "wanted to be normal".  Lots of good old humour as well as visual gags, although Frosty's conversation with an inaudible petrol station night attendant was hilarious.

All in all, a very lovely hour which apparently changes to varying degrees on different days.

No comments:

Post a Comment