Monday 16 August 2010

Show five...Jo Caulfield: Cruel to be Kind

I have a feeling that many of these reviews could end up a little biased as I have, at least for the start of my time here, chosen old favourites of mine...comedians I've seen various times over the years...those I KNOW will make me laugh...and Jo Caulfield is yet another of these.

It was about 9/10 years ago that I first saw Jo perform.  It was The Comedy Store in London, 9/10 acts on for charity...I had booked the ticket because Rob Newman (of The Mary Whitehouse Experience - an object of many teenage fantasies and giggles) was performing...sadly he was overshadowed by two ladies that night, Miss Jojo Smith and Jo Caulfield.  Since then I have seen Jo perform both at Edinburgh every visit, and also been to many radio recordings.

Anyhoo I digress...

Photo thanks to www.edfringe.com

So, Jo's show.  It opened with Jo conducting a small survey to help with an article she's writing for an American magazine about losing your virginity...something the also ends the show as she asks various people about where they lost theirs.

Then we swiftly move on to the rest of the show.  One of the things I love about Jo is she says things that many women think, but never vocalise...or at least, things I think but never vocalise.  I like to imagine Jo is also irritated by the likes of women who apply make-up in public and would be slightly proud of me as I try my best to "accidentally" nudge such ladies, usually on trains.

She goes on to bitch about her "girlie friends" and also her "annoying friend" (and it's true, we do all have them!)...before recounting a fan-fecking-tastic tale (and I do so hope it was true on some level!) of just thinking she recognised someone and ends up meeting up with their fiancee, having dinner with them, only to realise that she has no clue who they are!

The show concludes with the virgin survey, where she asks various members of the audience where they lost there virginities, expanding for more details with many (although I was asked I thankfully didn't have to expand).  Much hilarity over these, details of which you can find on her website & blog...so I won't ruin it. http://www.jocaulfield.com/

The show isn't for those who want a "nice little lady comic" to go and see...but IS for those who want to spend an hour laughing their arses off and finding themselves (often secretly) agreeing with many of the words spilling out of Jo's mouth.


EDIT: Oh and go here... http://blog.jocaulfield.com/ ...I made it onto Jo's site WOOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment