Tuesday 24 August 2010

My Edinburgh Rant

Well, it was bound to happen…something was going to attempt to ruin my week in Edinburgh…and that something was CASTLE ROCK HOSTEL.

For the week we’d been in a very lovely apartment, however for my last night (the girls were staying two more nights) we had to move to the above mentioned hostel.

Now, I’ve used hostels for some years now. I’m a fully paid up member of the YHA, and I have hosted my annual Winter Ball in one of two splendid YHA venues for the last five years, and held treasure hunts at others, as well as ad hoc staying at hostels – so I’m quite used to them.

CASTLE ROCK HOSTEL (part of the Backpackers Hostel it should be noted, and NOT YHA) brought a whole new experience for me.

It actually started the day before. I called them to see what time check in was, to which I received a very curt response before they hung up. I didn’t even get to ask whether we could leave luggage with them.

I decided as I had an early train on the Saturday to take my case, packed with everything and anything I didn’t need on my person, down to left luggage at Waverley Station, thereby saving me the pain of taking it there at the ungodly hour I was getting there the next day.

Upon check in at the hostel, we were asked to sign into a book, putting in our name, address and either driver’s license number, passport number or NI number…none of which I had as they were in my case. The conversation that followed went something along these lines:


Me: I’m sorry, my driver’s license and passport are both in my case at Waverley Station and I don’t know my NI number.

Her: You could go to the station and get them.


Me:  Erm, no I couldn’t actually, sorry.

Her: But we need either your driver’s license number, passport number or NI number.

Me: If I don’t provide you with them am I not allowed to stay here?

Her: No you can still stay here. But you could still go to the station and get them.

Me: No I’ve already said I can’t. I have a show in just over an hour. Plus I’m not going all the way down to the station, pay to get my case out of left luggage to retrieve my license, to then have to put my case back into left luggage only to pay again tomorrow to get it back out.

Her: But we need the number. Every hostel needs this information before someone can stay.

Me: Actually that bollocks. I’m a YHA member and never have I been asked.

Her: Ah yes, but you give them your YHA number.

Me: True, but then, they tell us that we need to bring the YHA card.

Her: It was on the email…

Me: No it wasn’t.

Her: Well it’s on our website…

Me: I didn’t go on your website… (subsequent checking has proved it’s not on the website either btw)… What if I give you the last four digits of my debit card?

Her: You could put down all the long number.

Me: I’m not about to write down the 16 digits of a card linked to my bank when my name and address are right next to it…

Her: Work with me here…

Me: I’m trying. Look, why do you need the number?

Her: In case something happens to you whilst you are here. It’s so we can contact your bank or the DVLA and get your details so we can contact your next of kin. I don’t see the problem, most people have their passport on them when travelling.

Me: Well you can’t be given my details, data protection act stops people from giving you that, anyway you already have my home address. How about I write down my next of kin details? I’ll happily write down my husband’s number.

Her: That won’t work.

Me: How can that not work? You’ve said you needed the information so that you could get my next of kin details in case I die whilst here…I’m willing to just GIVE you my husband’s number…THAT’S my next of kin details right there.

Her: We still need a driver’s license number, passport number or NI number.

Me: <writes down husband’s number>

I mean seriously, WTF??? I so very nearly walked out. Can say I will NEVER use that hostel again. Bad form. You don’t talk to people like that. You certainly don’t talk to people who are paying for your service like that.

Turns out no sockets in the rooms (!?!), the bunk beds were little more than slabs of plywood with a mattress on (not comfortable), top bunk had no sides to stop you from rolling off and my mates report sightings of mice on the Saturday. Website, should you want to avoid them is http://castlerockedinburgh.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment